No, this isn’t a reference to the Great Virginity Debate. It was a new year’s resolution of sorts, and so far it’s bearing fascinating fruit.
Chess Nuts! is my tenth publication in ten years. Last year I was overwhelmed by the dayjob and other projects, and I was frustrated at all the writing-related things I had to say no to. So this year, prompted by a comment by a friend (thanks Danae!), I decided, wherever possible, to say Yes to writing-related activities, whatever they were. No matter how scary-looking. And look what has since cropped up:
- the first chapter for The Age MS Readathon (which, to be frank, scared the pants off me – but I did it!)
- a column on public education for the Education Department’s magazine, School Matters
- a cover endorsement for the wonderful Carole Wilkinson‘s YA novel, Sugar Sugar
- Perth Writers Festival gigs
- lecturing and workshopping at Bunbury ECU
- Chess Nuts! has been taken by Australian Standing Orders
- writing with Delphine Jamet (even if it is slower than we both would like!) – joint authorship being a first for both of us
- script editing for Tawdry Heartburn
- touring Melbourne for Children’s Book Week
And, most wonderfully, the virginity novel is going be published – more detail on that later.
I am famously skeptical about the magic of wishing, but maybe – just maybe – there’s something in it.